So who are we, what are we, and more importantly who/what is “The Gecko“?
We are a team of engineers, entrepreneurs, business and product developers who are deeply passionate about what, where and how it’s done.
The core of our work centres around discovering cost effective alternatives to what has become a world monopolised by the big energy companies.
Our home is off grid, our workshop/warehouse is off grid, our R&D centre is off grid. By living and working around the natural resources, we have first hand experience of this way of life, its pros and its cons.
With the latest in methodology and pioneering tools, we design green power solutions, or green power stations, using a variety of natural resources for a wide range of applications and suited to most environments.
We specialise in wind, hydro and solar energy, in particular off-grid hybrid systems. The combination of two or more can deliver a continuous supply of green energy, whenever and wherever it’s required. We can tailor solutions to specific needs: we offer plug and play systems for self-install or accompanied by a full technical support and installation service.
Our parent company Forest Builder are fully accredited under the rigorous Microgeneration Certification Scheme for Wind and Solar technologies. Although our passion is with the smaller hybrid systems, aimed around self-sustainability and off-grid, our engineers and consultants have worked on utility sized photovoltaic plants as well as medium scale wind turbine projects.
We are a fun loving company, quality management assured and professional to the last.
The Gecko is where it all started, Without It, off-grid living wouldn’t be. Because It has such importance in our lives, and is a true representation of what we believe in, we have named our new venture after it.
Follow The Gecko!
We also do our bit!
Everyday little things that we can all do and that will make a difference in the long term
- we live and work off grid
- we only use 100% recycled paper in our printers and we reuse the other side as scrap paper!
- we reuse envelopes and packaging for our own mail where possible.
- we recycle our printer cartdridges for charity. We have chosen Renewable World as our beneficiary for the money raised.
- our kettle is heated on the wood stove whenever possible. If using a conventional electric kettle (powered by sun power), we always ensure not to fill up too much.
- we walk, cycle or use public transport/car share as much as possible when travelling. We also carbon compensate when travelling to an exhibition, if the event offers the option.
- we recycle all our cardboard, paper, plastic, metal and glass, so our bins (which are degradable bags) are only really filled by packaging that cannot yet be recycled or upcycled.
- our food scraps are composted (well only the bits that the horse and the dog cannot have!)
- our office and yard are off the grid, powered by solar and wind and heated by a cosy wood burner (the office, not the yard…!)
- when our batteries are full, our “spare” energy is used on the farms by the neighbours, so nothing goes to waste.
- we have a vegetable garden, and shop local
- we only use eco-friendly cleaning and toiletry products
Watch this space for more info and tips on recycling, energy savings and living off the grid, and have a peek at our facebook page #look.after.your.planet